Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Trip to The Library

     Last Wednesday (03/23/11), me and my classmates went to the library to do some research for the assignment that Mrs. Marilyn Patton gave us for EWRT 2 at De Anza College. She gave us a handout of some books that might be useful for the topics. I chose "hormones in meat" as my topic, so I looked through that part in the handout. She gave us some random numbers and letters, and I thought that would be the ISBN of the book. After she explained about it in class, then I found out that those numbers and letters represent the location of the book in the library. I didn't know that because honestly, it was kind of my first time looking for books in the library. I did before, but the school libraries back in my country suck compared to the ones here, and system is totally different too. So we all went to the library together, as if we were having a field trip! Mrs. Patton led the way and gave us an example on how we were supposed to search for the book by its codes. Then me and my friend, Celine, found a book that we thought were useful, so we shared it and copied it together. The books that we found were Human Nutrition by Helen A. Guthrie & Mary Frances Picciano and Food, Inc. by Karl Weber.

     From Human Nutrition, I learned that bST stands for bovine Somatotropin, and bGH stands for bovine growth hormone. "FDA regulations require that the amount of any hormone administered to an animal must not exceed 1% of the amount normally produced by the animal" (649). I didn't really get anything from this book since it has a lot of scientific terms and it used a lot of percentages too. Overall, it was still useful.

     I have more informations to share from the book Food, Inc.. rGBH stands for recombinant bovine growth hormone and it is an artificial growth hormone that is injected into dairy cattle to increase their milk production. 

No comments:

Post a Comment